It 's actually that simple.
There no need to go through all the hassle of being nice and sucking upto someone. Just hand over the chocolate and everything will be just fine .:)
Let me just say this.
Whoever thought up the brilliant idea that is honeycomb was nothing short of genius.
For years and years I've been hooked on the Cadbury crunchie that Dad would bring home after a sailing trip from abroad. And after searching high and low over many years when I finally did find one in Bombay it was 50 bucks a bar!!
Now that's just plain ridiculous!!
So I decided to try it out myself.
One problem though.
Cooking sugar,sort of scares me.
I know,it's just plain ol sugar,what harm can it do. I'll tell you what.
IT CAN BURN.
Anyway, I decided to go ahead and try it out.
and you know what, it's pretty darn easy.
There is still a possibility of it burning, but its easy to make.
I'm not saying that to scare you.
Baking Soda is the magic ingredient here.
Here's the recipe.
You can thank me later.:)
Makes one 8inch rectangular cake pan size.
1 1/2 cups grain sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Baking soda/Soda bicarb
- Line a cake tin with a silpat or a little oil.
- Bring the grain sugar, Honey and water to boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan, stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to let it cook without stirring until the temperature on a candy thermometer reached 300 degrees.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, and quickly whisk in the baking soda. The mixture will begin to bubble and rise immediately.
- Quickly pour it onto the greased mould/silpat.Once it is on the silpat,do not try to spread it out with a spoon ,the airiness will be lost. Instead, while you are pouring it out itself spread it out.
- Let it cool.
- While it is cooling, Melt the chocolate and keep aside.
- The honeycomb will harden and turn brittle once it is fully cooled.Break it into uneven pieces,and coat each piece in chocolate and let it set.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Try and avoid keeping the Honeycomb brittle out without being covered with chocolate for too long as it tends to catch moisture and become sticky.